Superintendent Marek To Retire Effective June 30, 2023
Fran Marek has announced her retirement as an educator in the State of Texas and her resignation as Superintendent of Schools for the Joshua Independent School District effective June 30, 2023.
An Agreement has been reached between the Board and Ms. Marek by which Ms. Marek will remain in the position of Superintendent of Schools through December 31, 2022, and thereafter beginning on January 1, 2023, Ms. Marek will transition to the position of Superintendent Emeritus for the remainder of her employment with the District through June 30, 2023, thereby allowing the Board time to transition to a new Superintendent. Ms. Marek will be retiring with 33 years of service to Joshua ISD with the last 10 ½ years served as Superintendent of Schools.
On behalf of the entire District, the Board of Trustees expresses its sincere appreciation to Ms. Marek for her efforts while serving as Superintendent of this great school district and its wonderful students, parents and administrators, and for the many achievements and accomplishments of the entire District team during Ms. Marek’s tenure as Superintendent, some of the most notable of which are:
- Joshua ISD is rated as an A-rated district by the Texas Education Agency.
- Joshua ISD began a partnership with Hill College in the 2018 – 2019 school year offering students a fully funded (by Joshua ISD) opportunity to receive both a High School diploma and an Associate Degree diploma. The first cohort graduates May 2022.
- Joshua ISD increased the number of Advanced Placement Exams from 86 AP exams in 2016 to 474 AP exams in 2022.
- Joshua ISD created its own Police Department in the 2017 – 2018 school year.
- Joshua ISD increased the number of HS students taking the SAT by implementing the SAT School Day during the 2017 – 2018 school year, thereby giving all juniors the opportunity to take the SAT during the school day fully funded (by Joshua ISD).
- Joshua ISD built and opened the Agriculture Project Center in the fall of 2017.
- Joshua ISD inducted the first Joshua ISD Wall of Fame Class in the fall of 2014.
- Over the last 10 years Joshua ISD has increased the Career and Technical Education Programs of Study and Industry-Based Certification opportunities for all students in grades 9 through 12.
Ms. Marek thanks the present and past Board of Trustees for providing her with the opportunity to serve in the Joshua Independent School District. A school district is measured by the commitment of the Board, staff and community to its children and their achievement. This District is indeed so committed. Ms. Marek would like to express her heartfelt appreciation to the staff and community for their support of the District’s programs and services during her term as Superintendent.
Success requires hard work, dedication, leadership and vision. The Board and Ms. Marek wish to acknowledge and recognize the teachers, principals, administrators, staff, students, parents and patrons who have all contributed to the District’s success.
The Board extends its best wishes to Ms. Marek in her future endeavors.