History of Caddo Grove
Students of Caddo Grove School
Caddo Grove Elementary School got its name by way of the history behind its location. This area was once a small community known as Caddo Grove, Texas, and was located eight miles northeast of Cleburne in north-central Johnson County.
J.R. McKinsey, an area pioneer, operated a small school from his home in the area that was founded in 1854. After the Civil War, McKinsey expanded the town with additional businesses and a private school called Caddo Grove Academy. By 1847, fifty-three students enrolled in the school. In February, 1868, the school became public and was called Caddo Grove Seminary. It became recognized as the most prestigious school on the northern frontier of Texas. The railroad was established in 1881 in the nearby town of Joshua, causing the town of Caddo Grove to become abandoned.
It is with great pleasure that we work together to reestablish school along the historic Chisholm Trail!!!!