Welcome to Principles of Health Science Technology Website
Name: Denise Oyler, RN
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 817-202-2500
http://www.hosa.org/guidelines please click on HOSA to see competitive events for this spring. (copy paste please)
HOSA : We are Area V
www.hosa.orgArea 5 Birdvillle CTAL Carly Harris October 19, 2019 is our fall leadedership conference. Will provide more information in class.Welcome to the exciting world of medical opportunities!!I have been a health science teacher for 18 years and a registered nurse for 45 years. I have been employed in many nursing areas and look forward to having your student in my Principles of Health Science Technology class as they investigate a future career in the medical professions.Students will have an opportunity to compete with other high school students with a student leadership organization in health care if they choose. This is a co-curricular activity and officers will be elected by students.It is called HOSA-Health Occupation Students of America.I welcome your questions at any time.
Principles of Health Science is designed to give an overview of the roles of various members of the health care system, educational requirements and issues affecting the delivery of health care. This course focuses on health careers, exploration, leadership development, ethical and legal responsibilities, the history of medicine, and the economics of health care and basic anatomy/physiology.
Students will develop a concept of health and wellness from the perspective of a health consumer as well as a potential health care professional.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of the course the student will be able to perform the following:
1. Discuss the roles of various health care in the current health care delivery system
2. Outline the educational background methods of credentialing and licensing requirements of health care professionals on a state and national level.
3. Identify legal and ethical issues affecting the proactive of health professionals
4. Define professionalism and the rights and responsibilities of being a health care professional.
5. Distinguish between therapeutic diagnostic, health informatics, support services and biotechnology research and development systems of the health care industry.
6. Understanding of basic anatomy and physiology of the human body.
Principles of Health Science
This course is recommended for students interested in a career in health care. Principles of Health Science provides an overview of the therapeutic, diagnostic,environmental, and support services, and biotechnology research and development systems of the health care industry. To pursue a career in the health service industry, students should learn to reason, think critically, make decisions, solve problems, and communicate effectively. Communication and teamwork are important in exploring all aspects of this class. This class is a prerequisite for Health Science and Practicum in Health Science.
Unit I History of Health Care and Health Care Systems
- History of Health Care
- How available is health care
Unit 2 Careers in Health Care Career Exploration
- Career Exploration and Planning (Career Cruising)
- IT Applications in Health Care
- Organizational Structure of a Hospital
- Health Systems Jigsaw
- Going to College
Unit 3 Personal Qualities of a Health Care Worker
- Personal Traits of Healthcare Professionals
- Professional Organizations
- Goal Setting
- Introduction to Leadership
- Leadership Behaviors
- Conflict Resolution
- Time Management
- Foundations of Communication
- Nonverbal communication
- Verbal Communication 1
- Parliamentary Procedures 1
- Parliamentary procedure II
- Current Events
- Mobile Manners
Unit 4 Legal and Ethical
- Introduction to Legal and Medical Ethics
- Advance Directives
Unit 5 Promotion of Safety
- Basic Fire Safety
- Body Mechanics and Range of Motion
Unit 6 Anatomy, Physiology and Basic Medical Terminology
- Body Planes, Directions and Cavities
- Maintaining Homeostasis
- Medical Language
- Fun with Medical Terminology
Unit 7 Anatomy and Physiology
- Skeletal/Muscular systems
Unit 8 Anatomy Physiology
- Blood/Cardiovascular system
- Respiratory system
Unit 9 Vital Signs
- Systems of Measurement
- Military Time
- Blood pressure Assessment
- Temperature, pulse and respiration
- Equipment Technology Malfunctions
Unit 10 First Aid and CPR
- Principles of First Aid and Medical Emergencies
- Introduction to CPR and Use of an AED
Unit 11 Infection Control
- The Cycle of Infection
- Hand washing
Unit 12 Anatomy and Physiology
- Digestive System
Unit 13 Nutrition and Wellness
- Nutrition and Wellness
- Eating Disorders
Unit 14 Cultural Diversity
- Cultural Diversity
Unit 15 Human Growth and Development
- Growth and Development
- Maslow's Hierarchy of human needs
- Death and Dying
Unit 16 Anatomy and Physiology
- Urinary system
- Reproductive system
Class Supply List:
Week 3 each student will need a standard size poster board to display a medical profession. Will be completed in class. Please wait until that time to bring to the class. Not enough space available to store 100 of them. Thank you.
- 1 Box of tissues
- 2 inch binder
- 1 Spiral notebook
- Black pen and any other color pen for grading purposes
- 3x 5 cards (used for definitions)
Class Rules and ProceduresWe use kind words.
We work hard.
We make Mistakes.
We give praise.
We try our best.
We love to learn.
33% Daily work33% Projects34% Tests_______________________Please review the Joshua ISD grading Procedure on line for further grading procedures.