Welcome to Mr. Dean's World Geography Website
Name: Michael Dean
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 817-202-2500 or 817-426-7500
Conference Time: 7:30 - 8:15 AM Mon-Tues, Thurs-Fri. or after school by appointment
Course Description: World Geography provides students the opportunity to study the interaction of people and their physical environment in the major areas of the World. Content introduces the student to the world of geographers, their unique vocabulary, tools and methodologies. Students acquire an understanding of the physical setting of the earth, locate and study different landforms and regions of the world, learn how people and geography impact each other, and are introduced to urban analysis. Content offers students the opportunity to put into practice the geographical concepts and skills through critical thinking applications about the work. It also builds upon what the students have accumulated throughout the social studies program beginning in the elementary grades and in the Texas and United States history courses.
- Textbook “World Geography”-McDougal Littell (provided by the school)
- #2 pencils, Pens (black and blue ink), loose leap paper (need for all classes)
- 1 ½ inch 3 ring binder
- 8 Dividers
- Box of Kleenex(1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th) or Hand Sanitizer (12oz.)(6th, 7th, 8th)
- Colored pencils (12 count)(All Classes)
- Test/Essays/Major Projects-50%
- Class Activities/Homework-50%
- One day late -15points
- Two days late – 30 points
- 3-5 Days late – 50 points
Late Assignments WILL NOT be accepted after five days. They are recorded as a zero and may not be made up at a later date. Assignments with no name on them will be assessed as a zero. School related absences do not give the student extra time to turn in assignments. Assignments are due before the student leaves school or the day before, whichever occurs first. If the assignment is not turned in on the due date it will be one day late and will receive a 20 point deduction. If a student is absent due to illness then the assignment is due the next day they return to school and will not receive the point deduction.
Make-Up Tests/Quizzes: You are required to take the test you missed the NEXT DAY that you return to school. Arrangements must be made with the instructor to make up the test. It is the responsibility of the student to take the test; the instructor will not remind the student. If the test is not taken on the day the student returns to class, the test will result in a zero.
Re-taking Test: Covered in student handbook
I do not believe in extra credit because students tend to not do their regular work because extra credit will “help them out.” I encourage consistent habits as opposed to last minute efforts. There will be opportunities for extra points on selected tests, current events, etc…more on this later.
Both the Fall and Spring Semester will include various projects. Guidelines for these projects will be given well in advance of the project’s due date, with ample time to provide for completion.
Students should make a serious effort to keep up with what is going on in their world and how it related to the subject area we are studying. Each student will be required to review a current event for one unit of study and present it to the class. Time, Newsweek, US News & World Report, New York Times and the Washington Post are all good weekly and daily news sources to read. “National Public Radio” in the morning and evening provides in-depth radio news. And as far as TV, PBS and/or one of the national news shows at least twice a week will help the student to stay abreast of breaking news stories.
- All school rules provided in your student handbook will be followed in this classroom.
- Intolerant or disrespectful remarks regarding other people’s views, beliefs, opinions, culture or lifestyle is not an acceptable behavior in this classroom.
- Come to class prepared with all materials and ready to begin work when the tardy bell rings.
- Talking during a test/quiz is considered cheating. The test/quiz will be taken up, and the student will receive a zero. Parents will be notified.
- Food, drinks, and candy are not permitted in the classroom.
- You are required to bring and maintain a spiral notebook on a daily basis. Your spiral notebook is one of your greatest resources to being a successful student in this class.
Tutoring will be available upon the student’s request. You must notify me at least two days in advance to come in for tutoring either before or after school. All geography teachers may help you with tutoring.
After reviewing the information, please provide me with your contact information on the letter indicating you and your child understand the requirements for this course. Please call me if…
- You have and questions regarding the material
- You have something important you want to share with me
- You have any concerns about the class or any other subject
Thank you for your time and I look forward to a productive and enjoyable year with your student.
Class Rules and Procedures: