Welcome to Mrs. Nichols's English Website
· Students will be given a reasonable opportunity to redo any assignments or examinations in which a grade below 70 was earned.
· Students or parents must request the opportunity to redo any assignment or examination within two workdays of receipt of the failing grade.
· The assignment or examination must be redone within three workdays of receipt of the failing grade.
· The two grades will be averaged to reflect the student’s relative mastery of the assignment or examination.
Teachers may assign a late penalty to any project turned in after the due date in accordance with previously established guidelines approved by the principal and disseminated to students.
(Policy EIAB local)
· Late work will be accepted; however, assignments will be subject to points being deducted.
· All homework including corrections must be completed within the six weeks grading period.
Kindergarten – Eighth Grade:
· A penalty of 10 points per day shall be assessed on each late assignment.
Joshua High School:
· 1 day late = 25 points off
· 2 days late = 50 points off
· Over 2 days late = Zero
Make Up Work: (Due to an absence)
· When a student is planning to miss a class to attend a school-sponsored activity, the student must arrange with the teacher to obtain assignments and due dates before the absence occurs.
· Students or parents may make a request to pickup assignments at the Front Office for an absence of at least two days in order to complete the work at home. A 24-hour notice to the office is required when requesting work.
· Students will be allowed a minimum of two days to complete make up work for each day absent. Projects, research papers or work assigned at least one week in advance will be due when the student returns from the excused absence.
· If a student is absent for an exam, the make-up exam will cover the same material although a different exam may be administered.
· If a student is present when an exam is announced, the student should be prepared to take the test as scheduled. If the teacher determines that there are extenuating circumstances or that material missed during the absence is necessary for the test, more time will be allowed.
· Make-up work should be made up within the current grading period (i.e. progress report or report card). Exceptions will be made for excused absences at the end of a grading period.
· If a student is absent at the end of the grading period and, as a result, is missing assignments, a grade of Incomplete will be assigned. As soon as practicable after making up the work, a grade change will be issued and the new grade will replace incomplete. Incompletes not made-up by the next grading period will revert to the grade the student earned.
· Students who are suspended from school are allowed to make up work following the above guidelines.
Name: Mrs. Angela Nichols
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
E-mail is the most convenient way of communication. However, teacher-parent conferences can be arranged before or after school or during my conference.
Phone Number: 817-202-2500 or 817-426-7500
Conference Time: 3:11-4:00
Welcome to my English website! I provided some basic information about my classroom procedures and policies. Here you can learn about my weekly lesson plans and class activities. I also posted some useful links to grammar and vocabulary websites. These educational websites contain lots of fun interactive exercises that students can do at their leisure. You can also find the link to MLA handbook online to help with the research paper.
Class Supply List: 2" binder, blue or black pen, pencil, a highlighter, and a box of facial tissue.
Class Rules and Procedures:
A. Be respectful of students and teachers. Kindness, consideration, and
good will overcome all differences and obstacles between people.
B. Always bring required materials: pen, pencil, class notebook with writing
paper, and any assigned reading material.
C. Be in the room by the bell, and be in the process of being seated if not
seated already. The bell does not dismiss the class --- the teacher does.
Consequences for Infractions of Rules:
1. Verbal warning and reminder, except for major infractions.
2. Department detention and call to parent/guardian.
3. Office referral.
Some important rules and procedures:
a. If you miss a class, it is your responsibility to get information and notes for that class
at the earliest possible date. Review of missed information is not suitable during a
regular class, since that would interfere with that day’s work. You either must get
the information fromanother student whose reliability you trust or you must get
information from me before or after school.
This is important because you will be held accountable for all information on
tests and quizzes.
b. If you miss a test or quiz, the ultimate responsibility to see that you have taken it lies
with you. If you miss a quiz or test, you must take it the day you return to class. If you
had been absent two days before the quiz or test, then you have two days to prepare,
and so forth. Failure to take the quiz or test on the proper date will result in 25 point
penalty per day late.
Any test or quiz that has not been taken by the end of the grading period will be
counted as a zero, within the conditions set by Joshua High School policy.
c. Late work will be penalized: 25%will be deducted for one day late, 50% for 2 to 4 days
late, and a 0 after four days.
d.Smart phones and other electronic devices may only be used at certain times with the teacher’s permission.
e. Two bathroom breaks per six weeks except with a doctor’s note for medical reasons. Use your
inter-class break efficiently and do your business before
class, so we can do ours during class.
f. You are to keep an English binder and bring it to class. Have these sections: class
syllabus and reading schedule; assignments; grade record; class notes. These will be
checked often and detention assigned if you do not bring your binder to class. Bonus
points will be given for class binders that are orderly and complete.
Holt McDougal British Literature Anthology: http://my.hrw.com
Use your user name and password provided by the teacher to access the textbook.
The Bluebook of Grammar and Punctuation: http://www.grammarbook.com
For vocabulary development: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/vocabulary.htm
A fun site for interactive grammar practice: http://www.chompchomp.com/
For MLA style: http://www.dianahacker.com/resdoc/p04_c08_s2.html
Grading Procedures: Test---33%; classwork and homework---34%; quizzes---33%