Thank you for your interest in substitute teaching for the Joshua Independent School District. Joshua ISD recruits substitute teachers year round. Our teachers and educators are dedicated professionals who are committed to providing students with the best possible education. Joshua ISD is an outstanding school district where children truly come first.
How to Become a Substitute Teacher:
You must have a High School Diploma or equivalent in order to apply with our district.
- Apply online
- Your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email for fingerprinting (if applicable). State law requires that all substitute teachers have their fingerprints completed prior to entering a classroom. It will cost approximately $50.00 for the national criminal history background check and the scanning of fingerprints at the time of the appointment. You are only required to fingerprint for one district.
- If you do not have a Bachelor's degree, you must complete the STEDI Online Substitute Teaching training course. See additional information below.
- These items must be completed prior to onboarding and your first available work day.
The following documents will be requested at the time of your onboarding.
- Two allowable forms of identification for I-9 purposes (more info)
- Social Security Card for verification of legal name required by TRS
- Driver's License/State ID for your background check to be uploaded to the state
- Voided check for Direct Deposit
- Official College Transcript or High School Diploma
- STEDI Sub Diploma if you do not have a Bachelor's degree
- Reference letters (minimum of two)
Substitute Teacher Training:
- If you do not have a Bachelor's degree, you will need to register for the STEDI online course. The cost of the training is $39.95. You will have access to the training once your fees have been paid.
- You must receive 70% or higher on your final assessment. This training is used as a screening tool for substitute applicants. The course typically takes about 9 hours to complete. You have the ability to start and stop the training if needed.
Links and Additional Information:
- Substitute Teaching Training Course
- Substitute Pay
- Employment After Retirement
- Substitute Handbook 2022-2023
- 457 FICA Alternative Plan FAQs
- TRS Unreported Service or Compensation Credit for Substitute Service
- TRS Verification of Substitute Service and Salary
Should you have any questions regarding Substitute Teaching, contact:
Human Resources and Substitute Specialist
817-202-2500 ext. 1042