Thank you for your interest in substitute teaching for the Joshua Independent School District. Joshua ISD recruits substitute teachers year round. Our teachers and educators are dedicated professionals who are committed to providing students the best possible education. Joshua ISD is an outstanding school district where children truly come first.
How to Become a Substitute Teacher: You must have a High School Diploma or equivalent in order to apply with our district.
- Apply online
- If you are not a certified teacher you must complete STEDI's Online Substitute Teaching training course. See additional information below.
- Your application will be reviewed and you will receive an invitation by email to an onboarding with our Substitute Specialist.
- State law requires that all substitute teachers have their fingerprints complete prior to entering a classroom. You are only required to have your fingerprints done for one district. This process will take place after your scheduled onboarding.
Required Documents: The following documents will be requested at the time of your onboarding.
- Two allowable forms of identification for I-9 purposes (more info)
- Social Security Card for verification of legal name required by TRS
- Driver's License/State ID for your background check to be uploaded to the state
- Official College Transcript or High School Diploma
- Teaching Certification or STEDI Sub Diploma
- Reference letters (minimum of two)
Substitute Teacher Training:
- If you are not a certified teacher, you will need to register for the STEDI online course. The cost of the training is $39.95. You will have access to the training once your fees have been paid.
- You must receive 80% or higher on your final assessment. This training is used as a screening tool for substitute applicants. The course typically takes about 9 hours to complete. You have the ability to start and stop the training if needed.
- Certified teachers are not required to take the online training class. Currently enrolled alternative teaching certification program applicants are required to take the online class.
Links and Additional Information:
- Substitute Teaching Training Course
- Substitute Pay
- Campus Contact Information
- Employment After Retirement
- Substitute Handbook 2022-2023
- Employee Handbook 2022-2023
- 457 FICA Alternative Plan FAQs
- TRS Unreported Service or Compensation Credit for Substitute Service
- TRS Verification of Substitute Service and Salary
Should you have any questions regarding Substitute Teaching, contact:HR/Auxiliary & Substitute Specialist817-202-2500 ext. 1042