Texas Public Information Act Request Procedures
Requests for public information (formally known as Open Records Requests) are handled in accordance with the Texas Public Information Act, Texas Government Code § 552.01 (et seq).
All requests for public information should be submitted to Joshua ISD, Attention: Superintendent’s Office. This procedure allows the district to accurately document the date each request is received and respond to the requestor promptly. If the request cannot be produced within ten (10) business days, the Superintendent’s Office will notify the requestor of the reasonable date and time of when the information is expected to be available.
Procedures for making a request
The request must ask for records or information already in existence. The Act does not require the district to create new information, to do legal research, or to answer questions.
Charges to the requestor
A person can ask to view the information, receive copies of the information, or both. The district will assess copying and/or compiling fees based on the fee schedule set out by the state. A complete schedule of fees is available in the Superintendent’s Office. If charges should occur, the district will send an itemized estimate and ask for a response in writing and/or payment within ten (10) business days, verifying that the requestor accepts, modifies, or denies the cost being charged.
Responsibility of the requestor
Any person who requests public information has the responsibility to:
- Submit the request to Joshua ISD by:
- Mail – Joshua ISD, Superintendent’s Office, 310 E. 18th Street, Joshua, Texas 76058
- Fax – (817) 641-2738 Attention: Superintendent’s Office
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-person – Joshua ISD, Superintendent’s Office, 310 E. 18th Street, Joshua, TX 76058
- Include enough description and detail of the information being requested so that the district can accurately identify and locate the information
- Cooperate with the district’s reasonable requests to clarify the type, or amount, of information that is requested
The district shall promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law. Documents considered public information shall be made available for review and/or copying. For any items that the district wishes to withhold, the district will ask for a ruling from the Office of the Texas Attorney General. The requestor will be sent a copy of that communication. If the request cannot be produced within ten (10) business days, the Superintendent’s Office will notify the requestor of the reasonable date and time of when the information is expected to be available. All questions concerning Public Information Requests should be directed to the Joshua ISD, Superintendent’s Office, (817) 202-2500.