• Negative Account Balances and Reminders


    We realize that children sometimes forget to take their lunch money to school or sometimes even misplace it. Many parents have such hectic schedules that it is sometimes easy to forget to check their child’s account balance from week to week. Although parents have the option to prepay/check balances online or contact the Child Nutrition Department directly, there are still those times when a child’s account may run low. Therefore, we have a plan to help ensure that your child always has a meal during the day. If your household is experiencing a need either long term or temporary, we may be able to provide meal pay assistance.  Contact the Child Nutrition Department for a confidential inquiry. 
    The following Meal Charging procedure will be followed at all campuses PK- 12th:
    Parents are strongly encouraged to continually monitor their child’s meal account balance.  Students are allowed to charge meals according to the grace period set by the school board, and the district will present the parent with a schedule of repayment for any outstanding account balance and an application for free or reduced meals.  Students of all grades, PreK-12th, are allowed to charge up to $20.00 for complete meals (at least three of the offered meal components consisting of a Meat, Fruits/Vegetables, Grains and Milk with at least one component being a Fruit or Vegetable).  If the district is unable to work out an agreement with the student’s parents on replenishment of the student’s meal account and payment of any outstanding balance, the student will receive an alternate meal.  The district will make every effort to avoid bringing attention to such a student. 

    If there is an economic need within your household we may be able to help.  Call for details at 817-426-7636.
    We make every effort to communicate with the household when a child's meal account falls below $0.00 and upon request, will set up payment arrangements or provide an extension of  the charge maximum in order to continue serving your child a complete meal.
    Providing your email at registration and/or directly to the Child Nutrition Department will help us communicate important information regarding promotions & meal account alerts when your child's account has reached a negative balance.  You may also sign up for free automatic email balance alerts (set your own threshold) and auto pay.    

    Each week the Child Nutrition Department sends out negative balance Email Alerts to all households PK-12 that have provided a valid email. In addition, at least once per week our PK-5 Cafeteria Managers provide “Negative Balance” notices to students whose accounts fall below $0.00. PK-5, please check your child's book bag for this notice.  You may also check your child's account balance at any time by signing up with our Online Meal Pay system or by contacting the Child Nutrition Department directly.  The "Online Meal Pay" link is found on the JISD website home page.  You will need your child's student ID# to view the account or make prepayments.  Your child's student ID# may be obtained by contacting the Child Nutrition Office at 817-426-7636.
    Negative Balances following an Eligibility Change:
    Negative Balances must be paid regardless of an Eligibility change to "Free" status since the charges accrued prior to that change. Please call for payment arrangements if needed.  817-426-7636
    It is very important for all returning students to complete a new Free & Reduced Meal application in time to be processed as soon as possible within the first 30 school days of each new school year. Any meal accounts that do not have an updated meal application processed or have had a categorical eligibility update by the end of the first 20 school days of new school year, will automatically convert to "Full Pay" status until a new application is received and processed.  Any resulting meal charges must still be reconciled on the account. 
    ***All negative balances must be reconciled immediately. If your child's meal account balance requires special consideration on any day, please contact your school cafeteria manager or the Child Nutrition Office as soon as possible to set up payment arrangements.  An exception to the above charge policy may be authorized, allowing your child to receive a regular meal for the day.  
    We ask for your support as we strive for excellence in our Child Nutrition Department. Our priority is always to serve your children delicious, healthy, and well-balanced meals in an inviting atmosphere. The Cafeteria Manager reserves the authority to make exceptions that are in the child's best interest based on special circumstances but not in violation of a student's Civil Rights.
    Refunds may be requested at any time by calling the Child Nutrition Office 817-426-7500, Ext. 1355
    Students that become inactive by leaving the district or graduating may request any positive balances to be transferred to another student account, refunded or transferred into the Donations Account for use by students that are unable to pay.
    Any positive balance that is left in an inactive account as of June 20 of the following school year is subject to transfer to the Donations account.


    In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877- 8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: program.intake@usda.gov.