Joshua Independent School District, which was established in 1902, encompasses 76 square miles in the Burleson, Crowley, Joshua, Egan and Cleburne communities of Johnson County. The district is accredited by the Texas Education Agency and has the TEA rating of "Met Standard". Serving a population of approximately 15,000, Joshua strives to provide a variety of quality educational opportunities in an outstanding instructional program for pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade.
Vision Statement: Joshua ISD will be a highly acclaimed model of educational excellence.Mission Statement: Joshua ISD develops productive citizens of exceptional character who are life-long learners.
District Motto: "Excellence...For All...From All"Core Values
1. Joshua ISD provides a safe and orderly environment.
2. Joshua ISD students set goals and achieve high levels of success.
3. Joshua ISD effectively and efficiently manages resources to promote student success.4. Joshua ISD is a source of pride and unity for students, staff, parents and community.District ProgramsInstructional Programs – JISD instructional programs are designed to meet individual needs and maximize student success. The JISD grade alignment includes five elementary campuses with grades PK-6, one middle school with grades 7-8, one ninth grade campus, one high school with grades 10-12 and one alternative high school with grades 9-12. Curricular offerings include remedial, regular, advanced, and honors courses. Programs for special populations include At-Risk, Title 1, English as a Second Language, Bi-Lingual Education, Gifted and Talented, Special Education, and Career and Technology Education (CATE).
and Technology (CATE) – The Joshua ISD Career and
Technical Education department enables students to be better prepared to meet
the needs of the ever changing workforce. These programs train the students in
the skills they need to either enter the labor market or to continue their
education after graduation. CTE
courses provide unique educational opportunities which enhance the knowledge
and skills required to be competitive in society. Joshua ISD offers classes in the following
CTE clusters: Agriculture, Food and
Natural Resources; Architecture and Construction; Arts, A/V Technology and
Communication; Business Management and Administration; Finance; Health Science;
Hospitality and Tourism; Human Services; Information Technology; Public Safety,
Corrections and Security; STEM; and Transportation Distribution and Logistics.
- Special Education – Joshua Independent School District provides special education services to all students who meet eligibility criteria as students with disabilities who require specially designed instruction in order to receive educational benefit from their instruction. Students with disabilities in Joshua range from ages 3 through 21 years and may be mildly disabled to significantly cognitively impaired. Services are provided to students who are visually impaired from birth through 21 years. The services the students require range from minimal weekly services to self-contained classroom settings. Joshua ISD offers a full continuum of special education services designed to meet the unique range of student needs. The Joshua Independent School District ensures that, to the maximum extent appropriate, children with disabilities are educated with children who are not disabled. The Admission, Review and Dismissal Committee is responsible for determining the least restrictive environment in which a student’s Individual Education Plan is to be implemented. Instructional arrangements/settings shall be based on the individual needs of the student and his/her IEP.
- Music (Grades 1 - 12)
Joshua ISD offers a music curriculum that includes general music, vocal music, and instrumental music. Music in grades 1-5 focuses on general music including singing, playing of instruments, recorders, and the basics of music notation. Initial band instruction begins at grade 6 at all elementary campuses. Grades 7-12 focus on music as a performance art. Choral music as well as Concert and Marching Bands (Spirit of Joshua) are also available for interested students beginning in grade 7.
The athletic program offers a wide range of activities designed to develop the total student academically, emotionally, physically and socially while developing exemplary personal habits. Involvement in various school functions is encouraged to assist the development of character and leadership skills. Team and individual sports are offered. They are baseball, football, basketball, cross-country, volleyball, track, tennis, golf, power lifting, soccer, and softball.
A wide variety of clubs and organizations are available at the various campuses, including but not limited to social and civic organizations such as Student Council, language clubs, NHS, Teen Leadership, and Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps. (NJROTC) Community service, character development and teen leadership are uniform goals throughout all the JISD clubs and organizations.
Guidance & Counseling – The guidance and counseling program provides the means of helping individual students maximize the educational, technical vocational, and personal opportunities they have and can develop. The program offers systematic assistance to aid all students in achieving satisfactory adjustment to school and to life. School counselors are provided at all district campuses.Child Nutrition – The JISD Child Nutrition Department is a non-profit enterprise, employing over 50 food service professionals and serving over 800,000 meals per year. Breakfast and lunch are served at all campuses. Meals may be purchased with cash, check or through the district’s online meal pay system. Students may earn 1 free lunch for every single $50.00 customer prepayment. Meal assistance may be obtained through a confidential meal application process. For more information, please contact the Office of Child Nutrition, 817-426-7500 or 817-202-2500, ext. 1355.Transportation Services – The JISD contracts with First Student Transportation to operate a fleet of 42 buses, which make 37 regularly, scheduled runs per day, traveling more than 500,000 miles annually. Transportation service is provided to more than 1500 students daily. Elementary and secondary students are transported via separate routes.
- Career and Technology (CATE) – The Joshua ISD Career and Technical Education department enables students to be better prepared to meet the needs of the ever changing workforce. These programs train the students in the skills they need to either enter the labor market or to continue their education after graduation. CTE courses provide unique educational opportunities which enhance the knowledge and skills required to be competitive in society. Joshua ISD offers classes in the following CTE clusters: Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources; Architecture and Construction; Arts, A/V Technology and Communication; Business Management and Administration; Finance; Health Science; Hospitality and Tourism; Human Services; Information Technology; Public Safety, Corrections and Security; STEM; and Transportation Distribution and Logistics.